Cairns to Brisbane

Leticia decided to come make a visit to me in Australia, so we decided to take a trip up north for a few weeks. I was lucky to have everything work out with assignments and exams where I could be away for two weeks, and it worked out perfectly. When she arrived in Sydney, I met her at the aiport and we spent the day in Sydney. To meet her, I had to leave Newcastle at 2 a.m., so I didn’t get any sleep. And after her 35 hours of traveling, she was a bit tired too. We just walked around the city a little and then sat in the Botanical Gardens for a while. It was the best weather we had had in a while, around 70 degrees and sunny. We spent the following three days in Newcastle since I had class, but then headed back down to Sydney to fly up to Cairns.

Because it’s hard to write a blog for a two week trip, this may be a bit more boring. I will tell more about what we did and what we saw instead of big differences in the culture. It’s hard to remember those differences now, but we wrote down everything we did so maybe some will pop back into my head as I write this.

Cairns is a tropical city located at the northeast part of Australia. It was almost winter and it was still 75 or 80 degrees and humid. We had decided to rent a campervan for our trip, since it is reasonably economical and it’s much easier to get around than bus. What I didn’t realize is that it would allow us to see so much more than any other way of transportation. Our campervan awaited us in Cairns, so we immediately headed there to pick it up.

The campervan is a great setup. Since we really didn’t need anything fancy, I found the simplest one we could find. It was really just a minivan with a fridge, a sink, a stove-top, and benches in the back that could be converted into a bed. The campervan provided half of the fun and adventure. Trying to make it in a campervan for two weeks can get interesting. There are many caravan parks where you can stay, but this isn’t economical when you have a campervan. Instead, we just find a spot, any spot, where can we can stay for free. For example, rest areas along the highway, along the side of the road in towns, and even one night in a McDonald’s parking lot. Also funny when we would park on a slope; it would definitely be noticeable while sleeping. To shower, we had to find either public showers or would go into caravan parks to shower. We did pretty well with this; we showered most days, and probably only left out 3 days. Showering obviously plays a huge part in your mood, so that was a huge priority of ours.

Although convering the bed was relatively quick (5 minutes), it was still somewhat annoying. After a long day and just wanting to go to sleep, the last thing you want to do is put this bed together. Then, in the morning, we would take 10 minutes to organize everything. When everything was disorganized, it was tough to get to anything in such a small van.

Another obstacle was cooking. We had the stove top in the grill with butane gas, but we still had problems. Sometimes the gas would run out in the middle of the meal and we would have to search around a while to buy a new one. Sometimes it would be too windy and nothing would get hot. Sometimes we would start cooking in a place when it was light, and then we decided it wasn’t the best place to be in the dark so we’d have to find a new place. Or we might not know if it’s exactly legal there, so we’d be worried. A few times we were just in the parking lot of an IGA or McDonald’s since it seemed to be the best place. Usually we would cook at night (rice and pasta the most) and eat sandwiches during the day. Needless to say, we were tired of the food by the time we were done.

So anyway, the second day in Cairns, we took a day trip to the Great Barrier Reef. I had high expectations of the Great Barrier Reef, and it did not disappoint. It exceeded by far. We left at 8:30 a.m. on our boat, just barely making it in time. I’ve never really liked being on big boats before because they can sometimes get a bit bumpy. My family knows that I’ve had a long history of car sickness. I can’t even say the number of times that I have thrown up because of riding in cars. And I don’t think I’ve ever been on a boat that moved around this much. When we left the harbor, they talked to us inside the boat for about 30 minutes. Even before them talking about how there are seasickness pills at the bar, I was already starting to feel ill. I immediately took the pills, but it was too late. Trying not to put too vivid of an image in your mind, let’s just say that I used about 20 paper bags. And no, that’s not an exaggeration. I’ve never been so motion sick in my life. Leticia was pretty much feeding me these bags. I might’ve used a whole tree worth of paper bags. After about 15 paper bags and about 45 minutes in, I asked the worker how much longer it would be until we got to the island. She responded, “Oh, about an hour and a half.” My eyes got wide and could only say, “An hour and a half?!” It’s a horrible feeling to know that this was going to continue for that much longer with nothing I could do. Luckily, I was so exhausted from the continuous vomitting that I fell asleep for the last hour. I might’ve intentionally jumped off the boat if that agony continued for much longer.

After waking up, I regrouped and headed to beach of the island for some snorkeling. The pain and suffering was definitely worth it. The reef went almost all the way up the island, so we could just swim around in this area to see everything. It was incredible with the colors and the different fish. I had been snorkeling in Cancun, but that didn’t match this at all. At some points, the reef was at least 5 feet tall, so we would swim overtop and just watch everything. Sometimes we’d see fish with bright colors, sometimes fish that were a few feet big, sometimes we’d see a school of fish with maybe 50 small fish. Then there are huge clams and just different types of coral. We even saw one of those flat fish that live on the bottom and try to blend into the bottom of the ocean. We had already spent a lot of money so we decided not to rent an underwater camera for the day. It was just AUS$50, and it was a huge mistake that we didn’t. That’s one thing that I would change. It’s hard to explain, so pictures would do it some justice. It was one of the coolest things that I have done.

After snorkeling for about 45 minutes, we went back to the boat for a buffet lunch. Our tour also had the option for a semi-submarine tour. So we went into this submarine and could see everything. It was amazing to really see the overall size of the reef. What we were seeing near the beach was nothing. Out in the deep waters, the reef was probably 20 feet tall at points. The fact that this goes on for 1,600 miles is absolutley incredible. It can be seen from outer space and is the world’s largest structure made of living things. If you go to Google maps and take a look at the satelite pictures, you can see it. Like I said, I did have high expectations of the reef, but this definitely exceeded my expectations. I do not plan on this being my last visit there. I will definitely make another trip there and do more than a day-trip to really see it.

After the submarine, we went back to the beach and snorkeled for another 30 minutes. I could snorkel there for hours. We saw a lot of it at least two or three times as we swam around, but it was still just as amazing to see the third time. Unwillingly, we were forced to get back on the boat and go back to Cairns. As soon as we left, I already started imaging plans to come back. On the boat, I took the sickness pills early and laid down in the front. Absolutely no problems. I was relieved.

Later that night, we just walked along this pathway along the ocean in Cairns. Other than the Great Barrier Reef, there isn’t much in Cairns. We were suprised to see so many Aborigines in Cairns. In my whole time in Australia, I had hardly seen any Aborigines, so it was surprising to see so many in Cairns.

Since Cairns doesn’t have any beaches in the city, they have a swimming pool that they call the lagoon. It’s nice because it’s free to go to, and it’s a big open area just to get in the water. We woke up and went to the lagoon the next day, and it was already getting hot around 9 a.m. Not bad for winter. After taking a quick swim, we went to the information center to figure out where to go. We then took off out of town towards the Atherton Tablelands.

The Atherton Tablelands is an area southwest of Cairns and is true rainforest. Going through this was a bit out of the way for our straight drive, but it was definitely worth it. Naturally, it was raining a little pretty much the whole day, but we still made many stops for different lookouts, waterfalls, and a short walk. Everything was so green, so it was nice to just walk around through the forest and through the vegetation. After this, we found ourselves in Innisfail, which is back on our normal track. We stopped at the information center to get some more information.

Most of the information centers were very helpful, so it was nice to stop along the way and see what was good to see around the area. It makes it much better for planning. Instead of trying to have everything planned before the trip, you can just stop at information centers and talk to the people who specialize in their region. It’s a great way to find all the little unknown treasures in the towns. I say that most are really good, because some are horrible. One answered every question with a flier. And she even answered unasked questions with fliers. I just asked what there is to do in a city and she gives me brochures on accomodations, a racing  museum of some guy I had never heard of, and caravan parks. She didn’t even need to give me these for me to know that we won’t be using them. A lady at one information center even yelled at me for not having more than one day in her city. She said there would be no way that we could do everything that she told us in one day. We did it all with time to spare, just to spite her.

Anyway, back to the trip. After the information center in Innisfail, we headed toward Tully. On our way, we made a last minute decision to take a small detour to Mission Beach for dinner. We are happy we made the stop. The beach was surrounded by rainforest and there were only 3 other people that we could see on the whole beach. Also, it had the feeling of a storm coming in. It was windy, cloudy, and getting dark, but it wasn’t raining at the time. This made it even better. It was quite the atmosphere. Unfortunately, the wind stopped us from cooking so we headed towards Tully.

Tully is home of the Giant Gum Boot. I mentioned in my last post that Australia has many big statues of weird things. This is one of them. Tully is one of the rainiest parts of Australia, so the Gum Boot is large enough that it could be in the largest recorded annual rainfall in Tully. This amount was 7.9 meters! That’s 26 feet of rain in a year! To put this into perspective for you, Rockford receives a little over 3 feet per year. No wonder everything is so green.

In Tully, we tried to finish our cooking, but the butane gas ran out. So we ended up going to IGA to buy a new one and cooked in the parking lot. You can’t imagine the weird looks that we got from people. We then drove on and stopped at a rest stop to sleep.

The next morning, we drove to Cardwell to have breakfast. We started a routine of eating breakfast on a beach every day. Our breakfasts consisted of cereal bars, bananas, apples, orange juice, and sometimes pineapple or manadarines. This was consistent almost every day. Well on this beach in Cardwell, we sat there and ate close to the water. After finishing, we walked back up to the van to put everything away. On the way up, I notice a sign that says, “Warning: Crocodiles inhabit this area.” This is the first time in my life that I have had the fear of being eaten by a crocodile. It’s definitely not a good feeling. We thought about taking a walk on the beach, but for the fact that I didn’t want to spend the rest of the trip shredded to pieces on a beach in Cardwell, we decided to skip out on this walk.

We continued on to Ingham and stopped at the information center. In there, we found there just a 5 minute walk was an area of wetlands. We had a nice walk back through there. At the end of our walk, but saw another one of the crocodile signs. On the way back, we were afraid of anything that moved. We went back to the info center, and I asked if there really are any back there. She said that there probably aren’t now, but 5 years ago there was at least one. Still not too convincing.

Next was Townsville, a beautiful town right on the coast. So far, this had the most beautiful lookout into the ocean. Finally a place where the water looks so blue as the light reflects off. And also some turqoise looking water where it was shallow. Just off the coast was Magnetic Island. There are ferries that go there, but we didn’t take the time since it was somewhat pricey and we didn’t want to take a whole day there. So instead, we went to the national park just north of Townsville and did a few hikes. One hike took us to a beach nicely named Shelly Beach, which was another deserted beach. So far, this was the most beautiful beach I had seen. Seeing the water so clear is something I had never seen before. And being one of the few people around seemed surprising to me, but of course this is always here for them. We then took another hike for an hour or more. We were hoping to see some wild animals but didn’t see any.

As we were driving south out of Townsville, I began to get a bit tired and felt like a hot drink. This is the real convenience of the campervan. We pulled into a McDonald’s parking lot, pulled out the stove, and threw on the teapot. A few minutes later, I had a hot cup of tea while driving. Can it get much more convenient than this?

After another night in a resting area, we woke up to have breakfast at Queen’s beach in Bowen. Bowen is home to the Giant Mango, so we had to stop there a get a few pictures. This is what I love about Australia. These little statues show their humor and it shows something that is part of their town and history.

We finally made it to Airlie Beach, one of the major destinations I was looking forward to. Airlie Beach is the gateway to the Whitsunday Islands, one of the most popular attractions on the east coast of Australia. Because of the beautiful Whitsunday Islands, I expected Airlie Beach to have the same beautiful beaches on this smaller city. I was completely wrong. Airlie Beach was a tourist town and had one of the worst beaches of our trip. When we arrived, I had that overwhelmingly disappointed feel. Every two stores was a tourist shop either selling your typical crappy t-shirts or selling tour bookings. The water right by the beach was so muddy and filled with rocks. On the beach was a huge Caterpillar machine moving sand around. This was the exactly opposite of what I was expecting.

We began walking around looking for a way to get to the Whitsunday Islands, and this city started looking a little bit better. We found a tour that was offering a 2 for 1 deal. Normally, people have to pay $140 per person for the day tour, but we got my student price of $130 total for both of us. Happy to have our tour booked, we ate lunch of Airlie Beach which didn’t seem as bad any more. We then headed to Conway National Park for some hiking. We drove all the way there and never found any hiking, but we did find this beach that is like nothing I have seen before. It’s called Wilson Beach. It is right at the edge of an estuary. This is a huge flat area, but the tides come in and out every day. We got there at low tide, so most of what we could see was just sand with a few small pools of water. On this beach was these little things called fiddler crabs. At first we didn’t notice them, but then we saw so many of them. At one point, there was a group of probably 100 running away from me. Funny because when they are scared, they dig a little hole and go into the ground. Really cool to see. There were these other bugs that would create these little balls of what I’m guessing is feces. Whatever it was, it was amazing how much there was. A lot of them were placed into designs, almost like someone actually placed them there. Pretty interesting.

We decided to try to get some hiking in for this day, so we drove to the state forest. When we got there, it was about 4:45 already. The track was about 3 miles round trip, so we decided to try to get it in by the time it gets dark. We misjudged this horribly. We got to the top of Mt. Roofus and it was quickly getting dark. About halfway down, I had to use the flashlight on my phone for some extra light. We had no idea what kind of animals could be around, so we were very scared at this point. There is one point that I probably won’t forget. We got to one point near the end of the trail, and the flashlight was absolutely necesary by this point, and it was hard to see which way to go. If we would’ve messed this one up, we could’ve been out here for a while longer. Luckily, we guessed right and found the car. Never again will I go hiking when it’s possible to be dark.

This day was also Leticia’s birthday, so we went out to eat (the only time we went out to eat the whole trip) to celebrate. We went to a restaurant in Airlie Beach and ate outside with perfect weather. We then sat on the beach and had some cheese, crackers, and wine.

We woke up early the next day to get on the boat to the Whitsunday Islands. After a short boat ride (in which I had absolutley no sickness, luckily), we got to Hamilton Island. This again was the exact opposite of our expectations. We came into the harbor and were shocked to see that this is actually like a small city on an island. There were two or three big resort hotels and a street with a bakery, a bar, a supermarket, other shops, and even an airport. We were expecting all the islands to be all natural with not many people around. We walked over to the other side of the island (which took less than 10 minutes) to one of the beaches. It was definitely a nice place here. We rented a two person kayak and stayed in that for a few hours. Again, beautiful, clear waters. There were supposed to be some turtles swimming around, but we never saw any. After this, we just swam around a bit and then headed back to catch our ferry over to another island.

On our way over to the other island, we had a buffet lunch. I enjoyed this lunch as much as anyone probably could. I hadn’t had as much meat on our trip as usual, so I was excited to see they had 4 or 5 different kinds of meat. Steaks, sausages, barbeque pork, chicken. I ate absolutely as much as I could. Definitely made it worth it.

On our way over to Whitsunday Island, we realized that we were going to exactly what we expected now. We found that we headed outside of where all the people were and into waters where you would only see a few sailboats and everything else is natural. We got to Whitehaven Beach, and I must say that it is easily the most beautiful beach I have ever been to. The sand is as white as rice, the water is crystal clear, and the sky as blue as ever. The beach is 3 miles long, but there were probably only 150 people on the whole beach. We walked to a spot where nobody was camped on, so there was no one around us within 100 yards each way. It really is hard to describe the beauty and pictures obviously do no justice, but it is like nothing I’ve seen before. I stepped into the water and I could see three or four fish swimming around near me. The temperature was about 80 degrees or so and sunny. Not bad for a winter day. One funny thing we had were stinger suits that they gave us. Because it’s not the season for stingers, we didn’t have to wear them, but we decided to put them on anyway. It’s a full body suit with a hood and also covers your feet. The pictures we took are priceless.

We were forced to leave the beach at 3, and then we made our way back to Hamilton Island to drop off people. We had an hour or two to walk around, then headed back to Airlie Beach. We were able to catch the sunset on the boat, and it was amazing. When we got back to Airlie Beach, we had dinner and then packed up to get ready to drive for a bit. We stopped here to use internet and found this nice outdoors area that was surrounded by a few bars, and it seemed so nice. Somehow, Airlie Beach, the town we had hated at first, had grown on us and we didn’t want to leave it. The town we had hated the most had turned into the town that gave us some of the best memories.

We ended up leaving at 9 p.m. or so, then drove a bit. We woke up in the morning and drove off-track to this national park I had read about called Cape Hillsborough National Park. I had read it was one of the nicer parks in Australia, but I didn’t expect to stay too long because I felt like we needed to keep moving. We got there, had breakfast on the beach, and the beauty persuaded us to stay til the afternoon. This turned into another memorable place. We found that there were some nice walking tracks along with some beaches, so we decided on that. On our way to start the walk, we saw a wallaby just sitting in the grass near the parking lot. This was the first time Leticia had seen one, so it was great. We petted it and took some pictures before heading onto the track. They had some moderate difficulty walking tracks, so this was nice to get a workout in. Some of the lookouts were incredible again. Near one of the beaches is an island, called Wedge Island, that is only accessible when low tide is in. So at high tide, water is covering this pathway of rocks, and at low tide the rocks create a path to the island. We waited until low tide and then walk over to the island and had lunch on the beach. We then took a shower in the caravan park there and then drove to Mackay.

Mackay was a nice city, from what we saw. We stopped at the information center and found that there was a marina nearby with a little area with bars. We drove up there and had our sandwich dinner on a bench, the thing you do when living on budget.

The next day, we drove to Clairview, which is a tiny town right along the coast. It was primarily used for fishing. I think the town had three houses, a caravan park, and the only store was the office of the caravan park. Seriously. We needed to do some battery recharging, so we hung around here for a few hours to charge cameras and phones. We then drove to Rockhampton. The drive from Mackay to Rockhampton was one of the worst of the trips. It’s a 4 hour drive, and there are no significant towns. Just dry bush and road the whole way. We pretty much only stopped to eat and to get gas and that’s it. I guess that’s about all you can really do there.

Rockhampton was another nice city. We got there around 4, so we decided to go to the top of Mt. Archer to watch the sunset and cook. Unfortuantely, it was a bit cloudy, but it was a nice view of the city with all the lights. We decided to try to cook up here with the nice view, but it got dark very quickly and we seemed to be the only ones up here. As soon as the bacon started cooking, I thought that the smell would attract many animals. So, we stopped cooking up there and drove down to the parking lot of a supermarket to finish. The next morning, we woke up early and went to the botanic gardens in Rockhampton. Another perfect day with the weather, and we walked through the gardens, the wetlands, and also into the free zoo. Very nice zoo for being free. Koalas, kangaroos, emus, wombats, and even a chimp. We spent a nice morning here and then drove to Gladstone.

Gladstone is an industrial city, so we didn’t stay around too long. We went to the harbor for the information center, drove to a pretty good lookout, and then headed out of town. We decided to make a stop that wasn’t planned to the town of 1770 and Agnes Water. They were both out of the way a bit, so we thought it might be nice to see these places that aren’t as visited. On the way, we stopped at a town called Tannum Sands and sat on the beach for an hour or so. We got to Agnes Water just in time for the sunset at the Agnes Water Beach. We then drove to 1770 to shower and cook dinner. Our van had a DVD player in it, so we rented a movie that night. However, we were always so tired at night that we didn’t even finish the movie.

The next morning we woke up to watch the sunrise in 1770, but it was pretty cloudy so there wasn’t a whole lot to see. The town is called 1770 because this is the place where Captain Cook landed for the first time in Australia in 1770. It was cool to watch the sunrise here and know that this is the exact spot where Europeans founded Australia. We ate breakfast at the Joseph Banks Conservation Park, which is a nice little park on a little peninsula in 1770. We walked around the park a bit and saw some great views of the ocean. Like I said, not that many people come around here, so it was cool to see this place with not as many tourists. We then drove to a walking track in Agnes Water, but stopped on the way to see the Captain Cook memorial monument. The track in Agnes Water was ok, but it led to a nice beach where we had lunch and hung out for a few hours. After this we drove back to the beach at 1770 to see the sunset, and it was definitely one of the best I have ever seen. The sun set over the water with some clouds, and the colors and changes over the half hour were pretty amazing. The pictures we took almost do it justice.

The next day we took off from 1770 and headed towards Hervey Bay. We stopped in a small city called Bundaberg on the way. Again, we stopped for the information center, and then we cooked lunch in a little park there. They also had a free zoo, so we walked in there for a bit and saw some wallabies, emus, an ostrich, and some other animals.

We then made it to our destination, Hervey Bay. The main attraction with Hervey Bay is Fraser Island, the largest sand island in the world. Many people come here to rent 4 wheel drives and camp for a few days. It’s a very popular spot in Australia. However, we were running out of time and could only take one day on the island, and we decided it wasn’t worth it for how much it would cost for a one day tour. We then watched another nice sunset, but couldn’t be as good as the one in 1770.

We decided to drive on a bit and made it to Maryborough. We stopped at McDonald’s to cook our dinner, and we ended up staying the night. When I say that, it sounds like it would be at a nice hotel or something. But it was actually a parking lot. Not the classiest thing I have ever done, but it worked out.

I had read in  a book that the author of Mary Poppins lived in Maryborough, so there is a statue of Mary Poppins in the town. We woke up early the next day, got a picture with the statue, and then drove on. The next destination was Tin Can Bay, which is known for wild dolphins. Every day at 8 a.m., dolphins come into the bay to get fed. So volunteers come every morning and allow anyone to feed the dolphins for free. We got there about 20 minutes early and waited for it to start. We had to get in line, and they gave us a little bucket with a fish in there. We had to wait our turn, and sure enough the dolphin would just come right up to you and take it out of your ihand in the water. Right after the feeding, the dolphin went away. I guess they have been doing this here for 50 years, so this was actually a 3rd generation dolphin. Nice place to stop and feed the dolphins.

We then drove along to Noosa, another city along the coast. This was one of the nice surprises on the trip. I had heard of Noosa but didn’t know much about it. It was a great city to visit: nice beaches, national park, not too touristy, etc. We got there and immediately went to Noosa National Park, which is supposed to be one of Australia’s most visited national parks. It was easy to see why. It has 5 diferent walking tracks, very nice lookouts into the ocean an nearby beaches, and is a first class place overall. We walked along the coast track, found a beach to hang out for a while, and then walked one of the interior tracks back to the van. There were supposed ot be koalas in some spots, but we never did see any unfortunately. After this, we cooked dinner at the van in a parking lot and then watched the sunset on the main beach in Noosa. We continued driving that night, all the way to Coolum Beach. Here we just parked along the street to sleep.

We woke up to try to see the sunrise, but we had missed it by a little bit. We still ate breakfast there on the beach and peole watched. There were many people walking along the beach for their early morning exercise. This was our last day with the campervan, so we had to make sure we made it to Brisbane by 2 p.m. This part of the cost is called the Sunshine Coast. It consists of many little towns connected and with many popular beaches. It is a well known place that draws a lot of people. Some of the towns we drove through included Mooloolaba and Maroochydore. We just stopped a few places for some short walks along the boardwalks since we didn’t have too much time.

We finally made it to the final stretch to Brisbane and just drove through it. It was only about an hour from the Sunshine Coast, and we made it around 1 p.m. or so. Right after dropping the van off, we found our hostel that we would need for the next few nights. We found one right off of Queen Street, which is the main pedestrian street in the city. After getting to the hostel, we walked through the botanical gardens and to the parliament house. After this, we met up with a friend of a friend for coffee. It’s always funny how these connections work. This was a friend of a good friend I met at Iowa, and they met in China last year and is originally from Brisbane.

After meeting with her, we took a walk down to the southbank part of the city, just on the other side of the river. This is a very nice area with restaurants and a nice walkway right by the river. They even have a swimming pool and a man-made beach right by the river. I guess it shows how important water and beaches are to Australians. Leticia had never been to a casino, so we decided to go to one just to have a look around. This casino provided a whole night of fun without even having to place a bet. The casino had two different live bands, so we had a beer and hung around there all night.

The next day, we did a little more sightseeing. We went to the art museum for a while. After this, we were walking through a saw a festival that said free food on a sign. Naturally, we stepped in after we realized that it was for anyone. It was some kind of cultural festival put on by a university there, so we had some sausages and a little kangaroo. We met a few people there who were taking surveys for a local Christian club. We then walked all the way to Chinatown and what they call the Valley. At night, I went to a Brisbane Broncos rugby match. This was my first rugby match, and it is about what I expected. I don’t particularly like rugby, but it was cool to be at the arena to watch it.

The next day, we just walked around the city a bit more. The highlights included the southbank market and the Roma Street Parklands. The Southbank market had a ridiculous amount of wine companies there. At each one, they gave away free samples. I’m sure there are people that go there every Saturday to get their fill of wine. The Roma Street Parklands was a nice park/botanic gardens in the city. We just took a stroll through there as our final hours before we had to get to the airport. Overall, Brisbane is a very nice city. Queen Street is always really busy and nice to people-watch, the parks are nice to walk through, and it has a great feel of a small city. You can definitely tell that it’s a decent amount smaller than Sydney and Melbourne. Overall, it wasn’t as good as Melbourne, but I like it more than Sydney.

This concluded our two fifteen day adventure. We spent more than expected, but the journey was 100% worth it. We saw so many cool places that I didn’t even expect, and saw amazing places that I did expect. If I could do it again, I wouldn’t do it any differently. If one thing would’ve changed, maybe we might not have seen something we did. This was the best way to end an amazing journey in Australia.

About Trent

I started Frugal Purpose to share my love of personal finance to assist your pursuit of a more fulfilling life. I am a financial analyst by trade, traveler at heart, and want to share with you the beauty of this world.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>